On Sunday, July 30, 1865, nine persons gathered in the Old Temperance Hall on South Main Street in Pinckneyville and established a Baptist church. Three years later that church officially took the name of First Baptist Church of Pinckneyville.
Before the church was one year old, the Sunday School was organized by R.M. Davis. Church members met on Sunday afternoons for Bible study.
On December 27, 1868 the church dedicated its first building. Affectionately referred to as the Old Brick, this building served the FBCP congregation for the next 37 years until it was taken down in 1905 to make room for a new church building.